The Construction Industry Federation has advised its members that an Interim Agreement has been reached between FAS and CITB (UK) for the exchange of FAS CSCS and CPCS Plant Operations Cards. The agreement puts in place a process allowing personel who hold the relevant cards in one jurisdiction to obtain the appropriate card for working in the other country.
FAS and the Construction Plant Competence Scheme (CPCS) provide registration cards for the Irish and UK construction industries. These registration cards recognise the skills and qualifications of the holders and provide evidence of their competence to undertake the work.
Both FAS and CPCS had operated a mutual recognition of each other’s registration cards but this came to a stop last December when the both organisations stopped recognising each the training cards of the other organisation.
As the practice had been for Irish construction workers to have either FAS or CPCS registration cards this change in recognition prevented Irish construction workers from carrying out their jobs both in Ireland and the UK.
However following on from the agreement reached last week there is now a solution in place. The following are the steps that now need to be taken to secure the correct training cards.
UK to Ireland: Transfer of blue CPCS compentent operator card to FAS CSCS experienced plant operator card
- Applicants must hold a valid blie CPCS plant registration card in the categories listed below. They must also have met all of the CPCS entry requirements including certification.
- Applicants must hold a valid FAS Safe Pass registration card.
- Applicants must complete and submit the FAS F1/4 application form (available here – scroll to bottom of page)
- Once the form is completed it must be returned along with a passport photograph of the card holder, a fee of €25 and a copy of the CPCS card (front and back). This should be sent to: CPCS, PO Box 320, Bircham Newton, Kings Lynn, Norfolk, UK PE31 6WD
Ireland to UK: Transfer of FAS CSCS experienced plant operator cards to CPCS blue competent plant operator card
- Applicants must hold a valid FAS CSCS plant registration card in categories listed below.
- Applicants must complete and submit the CPCS F1/4 application form (available here – scroll to bottom of page)
- Applicants must have successfully completed the UK’s Construction Skills, Health, Safety and Environment test within the last two years. (This is available from FAS Mount Lucas or number locations in Northern Ireland or Great Britain –see here for more details)
- Applicants must complete the CPCS Skills validation interview for each category (this is available at the FAS Mount Lucas training facility – phone: 057 9362777)
- Applicants must complete the CPCS Theory Test for each category (this is available at the FAS Mount Lucas training facility or any CPCS approved test centre)
- Completed forms, along with a copy of the front and back of your FAS CSCS Plant Operator card and a passport photograph of the card holder, should be submitted to: FAS CSCS Unit, 27/33 Upper Baggot Street, Dublin 4, Ireland.
Category Transfer Details:
|Equivalent CPCS Category||FAS Description|
|A02B Crawler Crane – All sizes||Crawler Crane|
|A04A Tower Crane – Trolley jib||Tower Crane|
|A09A Forward Tipping Dumper – Wheeled||Site Dumper|
|A12 Excavator 180 above 5 tonnes||180 Excavator|
|A59A Excavator 360 above 10 tonnes – Tracked||360 Excavator|
|A58A Exactor 360 below 10 tonnes||Mini Digger|
|A17C Telescopic Handler – All sizes exc. 360 Slew||Telescopic Handler|
|A34 Crawler – Tractor/ Dozer||Tractor/ Dozer|
|A40 Slinger/ Signaller||Slinger/ Signaller|
|A56B Dump Truck – Articulated Chassis – All sizes||Articulated Dumper|
|A60A Mobile Crane – Blocked Duties only||Mobile Crane|
|A63A Pedestrian Operated Tower Crane||Self – Erecting Tower Crane|