Brian Hayes TD, Minister of State with special responsibility for the Office of Public Works (OPW), was in Claregalway, Co. Galway today to launch the public exhibition stage of the Clare River Flood Relief Scheme.
Speaking in Claregalway this morning (Friday November 16th), Minister Hayes said: “Claregalway, in addition to many other parts of County Galway and indeed the entire Country, suffered devastating flooding in November 2009 and I am pleased to be here in Claregalway this morning to launch this very important exhibition on the proposed Flood Relief Scheme for the Clare River. I was here in July 2011 to open the new improved bridge with its additional flood eye and I will be opening the new bridge at Crusheeny later today, two elements of the Clare River Flood Relief Scheme works which were accelerated because of the recognised need to try and resolve the flooding in the area as quickly as possible.”
“The scheme that I am launching here today, which will cost approximately €7million to construct and will be on public view for four weeks, primarily comprises (in addition to the two bridges already completed) localised road raising at Montiagh North and Montiagh South, selective accelerated channel maintenance from Lough Corrib to Curraghmore Bridge, increasing the capacity of culverts at various locations on the channels, the provision of some additional local drains together with upgrading existing culverts/drains, the provision of two embankments and 100metres (approx.) of floodwall and complete channel widening works by way of a two-stage channel for a distance of 1.3 kilometres,” the Minister said.
The Minister continued, “I am happy to say that Galway County Council has been an excellent partner so far, and I have every confidence that this working partnership will continue and that when completed this scheme will provide flood protection for 17 properties which were flooded in 2009 and will also provide protection for a further 60 properties which are currently at risk.”
The Minister concluded: “This major capital investment commitment is part of the annual capital funding provision of €45m, which I announced last year, and demonstrates yet again this Government’s and OPW’s commitment to a sustained capital programme to improve the level of flood risk protection for homes, businesses and infrastructure as we all recognise the serious personal and economic impact of flooding.